This is a Google Earth Tour Assignment, and you need to have Google Earth to use the tour. Copy and paste the link in your browser.
https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=ce0a0edf3e&view=att&th=1293cb532a2b105b&attid=0.1&disp=attd&realattid=Google+Earth+Tour.kmz&zw
Google Earth -In this activity you will be watching a Tour from Google Earth to lean what divergent plate boundaries, convergent plate boundaries, volcanoes, and island chains look like from a satellite image and where they are located on Earth.
Assignment-
1. Watch the Tour and read about features A-E.
2. Answer the questions for F-I along with the tour.
3. Lastly explore Google Earth to see if you can find others not used in the tour.
GOOD LUCK!
Notes While Watching
A. This is an example of a Divergent Plate boundary. Notice the spreading ridge down the center.
B. This is an example of a Convergent Plate Boundary. This is between two continental plates. Notice the large mountain range that was created by the collision.
C. This is also an example of a Convergent Plate Boundary; however, this is between an oceanic and continental plate. Notice the deep trench where one plate is being subducted under the other.
D. This is an exmple of a volcano. Notice the large circular caldera visable at the top of the mountain.
E. This is an example of an Island Chain caused by a hot spot. Notice the linear path the islands make.
Questions
F. What is this?
What features did you used to help you identify it?
G. What is this?
What features did you used to help you identify it?
H. What is this?
What features did you used to help you identify it?
I. What is this?
What features did you used to help you identify it?
What other interesting things did you find on your own? What are some features you recognized?
Answers
F. Divergent Plate Boundary, Divergent spreading ridge.
G. Volcano, large caldera, lava flows.
H. Convergent Plate Boundary, deep trench and mountains.
I . Island Chain, linear chain of island surrounded by water.
I loved learning to use Google Earth! It took me forever to try to figure out how to export my tour. I have other things to go with it the tour that did not get exported. I think it would work better if we did it as a class on a projector rather than by them selves. Overall positive experience and I would use it for sure in my future class room.
No comments:
Post a Comment